Visit Cáceres. Tourism in Caceres. Caceres info
Information about Caceres: Visiting the Old Town of Cáceres.
St Mary's Square in Caceres
Old Town of Caceres was declared as a Spanish National Monument in 1949 thanks to its one-of-a-kind urban design, its excellent degree of preservation and its high density of monuments. Afterwards, in 1968, it was declared as the Third Monumental European Ensemble by the Council of Europe. Finally, in 1986, it was declared UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Caceres also has another tourist awards:
- Pomme d'Or Award for Excellence, granted by World Federation of Travel Journalists and Writers in 1996.
- Les Étoiles d'Or du Jumelage, granted by European Commission in 1999.
- ARCHIVAL award, granted by Asociación para la Recuperación de Centros Históricos en 2004.
Likewise, Cáceres belongs to several tourist organizations:
- The group of Spanish World Heritage Cities.
- The Network of Spanish Jewish Quarters 'Caminos de Sefarad'.
- The Cooperation Network of the Towns on the Ruta de la Plata.
The city of Cáceres registers around 1.000.000 overnight stays per year. According to official data, the time of year when the city receives more visitors is Easter, but there are other months in which the average stay exceeds two nights of overnight.