18. Tower of Storks
Guided Tour of Caceres. Route 1
- Start Route 1
- 1. Bujaco Tower
- 2. Chapel of Peace
- 3. Arch of the Star
- 4. Episcopal Palace
- 5. Palace of Hernando de Ovando
- 6. Palace of Carvajal
- 7. St Mary's Co-Cathedral
- 8. Palace of Mayoralgo
- 9. Moraga's Mansion
- 10. Mansion of Golfin-Toledo
- 11. Provincial Council Head Office
- 12. Palace of Golfines de Abajo
- 13. Becerra's Mansion
- 14. Church of the Society of Jesus
- 15. Mansion of the Sun
- 16. Sande's Mansion and Tower
- 17. St Matthew's Church
- 18. Tower of Storks
- 19. St Paul's Convent
- 20. Palace of Weathervanes
- 21. Ulloa's Mansion
- 22. Mansion of Diego de Ulloa el Rico
- 23. Palace of Golfines de Arriba
- 24. Mudejar House
- 25. Aldana's Mansion
- 26. House of the Monkey
- 27. Courtyard of the former Rectory
18. Tower of Storks
This Palace was built by the famous Captain Diego Fernández de Cáceres y Ovando in 1478, with licence to crenellate granted by Catholic Kings to build its high tower, currently known as Tower of storks.
It's in Gothic style, made in masonry, with some granite ashlar walls. It's remarkable the portal with round arch having large granite voussoirs. Over it, there's an ogee arch window flanked by two coats of arms. All framed by an alfiz, on both sides of which there are mullioned windows, very commons in Cáceres architecture.
On the left side of its façade rises the most beautiful tower of Cáceres, with masonry walls, except the corner with granite ashlar finish. It is crowned by battlements supported by corbels. Catholic Monarchs abrogated the licence to crenellate for all palaces in Cáceres in 1476, which means that all the city towers were lopped, removing their battlements. They ordered the demolition to prevent that any feudal lord dared to threaten the Crown. They only spared one tower, that of the Captain Diego Fernández de Cáceres y Ovando, for his friendship and fealty to the Kings. Nowadays it's known as the House of the Storks, headquarters of the Military Government, in St Matthew's Square.
Palace of Cáceres-Ovando has a beautiful two-floor courtyard, with columns and arches built in granite too.
Nicolás de Ovando was born in Brozas (Cáceres) in 1460. He was the youngest son of Captain Diego Fernández de Cáceres y Ovando and Isabel Flores, chamberlain of Queen Isabella the Catholic. The last name Flores is one of the most genuine of Brozas, preserving even the building that was Palace of this family. Nicolás de Ovando's mother came to give birth at her parent's home, don Rodrigo Flores and María Esteban de Paredes, since he had married in this village in 1444 with Captain Diego Fernández de Cáceres. Friar Nicolás de Ovando was the first Governor of the Hispaniola Island (nowadays Dominican Republic and Haiti) and all the West Indies, replacing Christopher Columbus in its Government.
Cordero Alvarado, Pedro. Cáceres en sus escudos y monumentos. Ed. García Plata S.A. 1991
García Mogollón, Florencio-Javier. Los Monumentos Religiosos de Cáceres, Ciudad Patrimonio de la Humanidad. Plan de Excelencia Turística del Excmo. Ayto. de Cáceres. 2005